PC upgrade

Discuss anything.

Moderator: Administrator

wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

PC upgrade

Hi all, thought I'd post a quick hardware update and get some advice on next pieces namely gpu and monitor if i can stretch it.

The combination of a good deal on RAM and the need to update gpu prompted me to upgrade from i5 to a ryzen 3600 which should keep me going for a good bit, and the AM4 mobo should last a bit too as amd killing it right now. Kept the same case but considered a new one all right (NZXT 210 would be my first choice) but i wanted to try reuse as much as possible due to tight budget. Still rocking an mITX case, which is an absolute bitch to build in as it's slim as fuck, but I don't mind the challenge of small form factor.

Haven't bought the rtx 2060 yet. Was going to move that to a 2060 super to allow the jump up to 144hz 1440 IPS from 1080p. If anyone can recommend a good monitor let me know! Seems to be a lot of choice now days. Slarti is running a good Acer Nitro 75hz right now which tbh I could probably live with but... 144... ab)

Also, love the look of 5700/xt but the driver issues seems to still be fucked?!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For £159.98)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For £119.98)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For £52.26)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For £102.48)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card (£310.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For £0.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
Custom: SilverStone SST-PP05-E; Short cable set for SilverStone PSU Strider series 100% modular (Purchased For £20.49)
Custom: Noctua NM-AM4-L9aL9i Mounting Kit for Noctua NH-L9a & NH-L9i on AMD AM4 (Ryzen) platforms (Purchased For £6.91)
Custom: Arctic MX-4 2019 Edition - Thermal Compound Paste For Coolers | Heat Sink Paste | Composed of Carbon Micro-particles | Easy to Apply | High Durability - 4 Grams (Purchased For £4.91)
Total: £777.97
LK3da
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: PC upgrade

sounds like a good setup, i would definately go for a 144Hz Panel.
got me a Acer XF270 last black friday.
doenst make so much diffenence in CSGO but in Dirt and racing games its a absolute win ! aa)
wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Yeah I agree LK, I still have a good 1080p 144hz Viewsonic monitor, but IPS models at 1440p have really started to explode on the market now. I'm finding the 1080p res a bit limiting.

I'm going to get the gpu first and stay in TN panel 1080p 144hz because jump up to IPS panel 1440p is still a bit too pricey for me atm. Hoping monitor tech and prices will improve because cheaper IPS 1440p monitors have too much motion blur right now. But if money was no object I would get this LG without a doubt: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T7K2V7L/ ... g_dp_it_im

GPU still undecided. If anyone is shopping in that £350 mark it's a fucking mess of different models and variants and now with Coronavirus prices are sneaking up slightly even though supply chain is mostly unaffected some dodgy retail practice going on there.

Looks like my gtx770 has to kick on another gen :/
wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Well, I cracked, and nabbed a solid evga 2060 super for a good deal.

However....

Prices are for the most part still broken. If anyone is looking at upgrading gpu I advise to wait for nvidia's 3xxx series later this year, which should run at 7nm vs 12nm of todays cards, and the much rumored Big Navi from AMD, if you are so inclined to take on their shit drivers for considerably less money.
MegaYoda
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Wes are you using the stock CPU cooler that came in the box with your Ryzen 5 or rocking your own CPU fan/cooler?
wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

I'm using a Noctua NH-L9i low profile cooler I had for my previous intel chip in the same case. I just had to buy an adapter to make it fit the AMD motherboard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-L9i- ... B009VCAJ7W

Below is current set up:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/wesbot/saved/cN2QZL

I've heard the ryzen stock coolers are loud though, and don't keep chip lower than even pretty cheap coolers on the market now days. I love noctua fans anyway but i have to use this specific low profile due to the mITX form factor. I was thinking of changing case so i can fit bigger cooler but decided to leave it for now as it does the job great.