Elite Dangerous on sale

Chat about games on any platform of interest from golden oldies to future releases

Moderator: Administrator

Slartibartfast
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Elite Dangerous on sale

Anyone play this?

Worth getting for this price?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/
Illegitimi non carborundum

Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Re: Elite Dangerous on sale

I've played the shit out of it. I really like it but I think I have overplayed it. Will be back to Season 2 (planetary landings)

If you like flying in space its a good buy. If that doesn't float your boat don't buy. Excellent flight model, graphics, space flying, space combat is good. It uses a P2P network model and instancing so you wont be in a system with more than 10-15 players at most. You can play solo if you so wish.

You will need to invest a significant amount of time to get to the bigger ships, but you will get an ok fighter or freighter within a couple of weeks.

Notes of caution

This sale only give you access to season 1 content. Season 2 is out around Christmas (Not sure how much it is). Frontier have developed a significant amount of content since release, and intend following that model on an annual basis over the coming years. More content will be added to the base game over the years but you wont have full access to everything (1.5 and season 2 are being released at the same time which will update the base game and add 5 ships and improvements).

Periodically they put a lifetime pass up for sale which would give you access to all future seasons. That said there is plenty in season 1. Trading exploring combat etc, Background sim where you can push minor factions to take over stations and systems, a political metagame on top (Powerplay) and an arena based multiplayer dogfighting

The game documentation is not great and there is quite a steep learning curve. If anyone buys it, give me a shout and I can give you an intro and drop you a few canisters of expensive goods to give you a cash boost.
"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin