Network components

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Network components

WOOOHOOOO! I'm back online in my new flat. But now I have the problem that my router is in the corridor and I need network in my bureau for the gaming pc and in the living room for the AVR/TV/Bluray/NAS

Any good Ideas for a nice integration? Has anybody experience with the network over powercable? Is it possible to connect a switch after the device?

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
Nemes1s
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: Network components

http://www.ofcgaming.co.uk//viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6583

Me, wes and muddy are using tp link powerline adaptors
Been using them a few months now myself had a couple of issues at first but works fine now just need to switch on and off ocasionally but iv taken to swithing them off when im not using them
BATTLE ROYALE
CAN U KILL YOUR BEST FRIEND

MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

What Nem sez, I wrote to the makers and complained that they sometimes lock up and they said yes it was the power saving features that were a bit crock - they sent me an app to disable this feature and now they work real well.
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

ok. that sounds like a good service.
I didn't know that there are devices with power passthrough ... I should google a little bit about the TP Devices.

is anybody playing online games over wireless? maybe I think about to use only a wifi stick on my PC and the power device for my living room. so I only need 2 devices and not 3 :)

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
Nemes1s
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

you can buy them single as well so i belive so u just add more to the netwark
BATTLE ROYALE
CAN U KILL YOUR BEST FRIEND

shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Yep but the WiFi stick costs only 10 Euro ;}

wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

is anybody playing online games over wireless?
Yes. Don't.

I had no choice for a while and it was pants. I had high pings and all sorts of packet loss on 80% strength. Bought powerlines and haven't looked back. But you can get them with built in wifi extender as well, so you could just get one of those if you still want good wifi in other parts of the house.

The more of these features it has the more expensive it will be:

500Mbps and upwards
More than one lan port
Passthrough
Wifi booster

I just went 500Mbps, passthrough with one lan port, because my motherboard can daisy chain the connection anyway if i needed a second line in the room.

With black friday you'll probably pick that up for close to 20 quid great value i think.
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

shutteh wrote:WOOOHOOOO! I'm back online in my new flat. But now I have the problem that my router is in the corridor and I need network in my bureau for the gaming pc and in the living room for the AVR/TV/Bluray/NAS

Any good Ideas for a nice integration? Has anybody experience with the network over powercable? Is it possible to connect a switch after the device?
And yes - you can connect anything you like to the other end of the powerline - it's just like a network cable. There is one downside of power passthrough though, this was my major gripe with these as when they locked up I could not reset the unit (no switch) except by pulling it out the socket and guess what - entire PC setup was powered through it so had to switch everything off. Once I sorted the locking up - no problem.

Muddy
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Okay.thx for the advices. I will look for a good offer for Power Devices :) can i connect two 1200 with one 500 MBit device?

MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

I'm not sure - I would think you could but it could drag the entire setup down to the lower speed!

Muddy
jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

If your considering wireless I've heard food things about Ubiquiti kit which can be powered through a network cable and are highly configurable.

Here's an in-depth review http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/ ... i-gear-is/

I want one myself but having just got a new wireless point a few months back I don't really need one. TP-link is a good brand though, they make decent stuff.
wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Amazon are going to put this guy on black friday sale tomorrow at 12:09 or earlier if you are a prime member:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UTG32TQ/r ... HRQM03XZQV

Not sure how much will come off it but they do put deals on a lot of powerline adapters if this is not what you're after keep an eye on rest of their deals

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Friday-De ... 8298718669
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

thx for the post but it will not work in germany ;)

And I have bought 2 AV1200 3Port and 2 with 1Port :)
Rooms are now connected and it works, but only with 180 mbit/s