powerline ethernet adapter

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Nemes1s
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

powerline ethernet adapter

Hey any you guys have one of these will be needing one
when i move back with my parents seen a few on amazon for around 25 to 30 quid but dont really know what im looking for that will be good for gaming
BATTLE ROYALE
CAN U KILL YOUR BEST FRIEND

wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Re: powerline ethernet adapter

Hey Nem, yeah I bought one recently because i had really bad experience with pings over wireless. Sorted me right out.

I went with TP-link ones after a bit of research, this one to be exact: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D8BGLMY

You don't have to go with passthrough (ie. have the electrical socket on it again) I just did this to keep the outlet free for other electricals. Can also add more of these as you need, or add a wifi extender to far reaches of your property not on the same electrical box. When we buy I will be putting one in every room with net-enabled devices instead of running cables.
Nemes1s
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Thanks wes looks good a lil more than i had planned to spend but at least that one helps prevent power dips and u can still use the sockets

Anyone else got any recomendations muddy did you not get one also ?

if not i will buy this one
BATTLE ROYALE

MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

I have older versions of that one. I assume it's £36 for the pair - you aint gonna get a better price than that. There is older kit that runs at 200meg I think but you probably can't buy that any more if they are selling the 500meg stuff that cheap.

I did have some problems with it - would lock up occasionally and only a power cycle would fix it - a real pain as the only way to power cycle was to unplug it and of course the passthrough socket was powering the entire rig so a reboot was needed too. I contacted tp-link and it turned out their power saving code was the problem (saving the piddling amount of current these units use is hardly worth it) so they supplied me with a fix to turn the power saving off and they have worked flawlessly since.
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
Nemes1s
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Ok thanks for the info guys i went That set u hot wes
i checked on ebay first and was about £4 more expensive
so got from amazon
BATTLE ROYALE

wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Good man you could have probably used flubit.com but not much saving there anyway maybe a couple of quid. I think i just waited for an amazon sale but yeah as muddy said you get the pair.
wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

MudShark wrote:I did have some problems with it - would lock up occasionally and only a power cycle would fix it - a real pain as the only way to power cycle was to unplug it and of course the passthrough socket was powering the entire rig so a reboot was needed too. I contacted tp-link and it turned out their power saving code was the problem (saving the piddling amount of current these units use is hardly worth it) so they supplied me with a fix to turn the power saving off and they have worked flawlessly since.
Ever since I read your comment I noticed mine stops working after a little while, maybe a few days and I have to plug it back in, although I am running through a splitter which I know is a no-no but what kind of fix did they supply muddy? I'd be interested in trying it to see if it fixes.
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Cannae remember, but I think it was not new firmware - just some program that turned off the feature - you would have to contact them. Though I will check my e-mails when I get home to see how they did it.
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
Nemes1s
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

experianced a problem last couple of days hav been on the pc during the day everything is fine internet conection is good but when i switch the pc on at night no internet connection rest eveything pc ,router and power point adaptrers but keep getting a faild to varify ip address issue so no internet so hav just been playing gta5 single player and each night when i finish playing and close the game the intewrnet is working again anyone got ideas what could be wrong tryed googling it and couldnt find anything
BATTLE ROYALE