DoS Attacks..

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

DoS Attacks..

My home network is getting hit really hard by DoS attacks from some random cunt. Anyone got any advices how to handle this? :P
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: DoS Attacks..

??? how can it happens. do u have a fix IP Adress?

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
CrAp
Regular
Regular

book a flight to lepriconland and smack slarti in the face.....the attacks will probably not stop,but you will feel much better.
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

CrAp wrote:book a flight to lepriconland and smack slarti in the face.....the attacks will probably not stop,but you will feel much better.
Ye, that is the plan, I'm saving money atm!
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

shutteh wrote:??? how can it happens. do u have a fix IP Adress?
I don't know, how do I tell? :P
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

check your internet adress if you are only. is it everytime the same?

i think http://www.speedtest.net/ shows you your IP Adress in the left lower corner.

and why did u know its a ddos attack on your pc? maybe a normal antivir boot disk will clean your system from some trojaners ;]

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
ionwg
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Are you port forwarding on your router?

Is your windows firewall on or have you amended its rulebase?
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

How do you know it's a DoS attack? If it is then it's not a very good one! It's in the name - Denial of Service, your internet is still wokring hence not a DoS. Just random pings - happens all the trime - it's the wild west out there. Lots of computers looking for holes in your network. If it worries you then check out web sites about locking down all the ports on your router/PC.
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Like a DoS
"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Schlack wrote:Like a DoS
Hahah!!! Xd

I know it DoS attacks cause it says so on my router log. Can alot of them every day :/

Ye, i have ports forwarded for certain games and im not sure which ones I can block..
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

I don't think you understand. A real DoS attack would render your broadband unusable. Most routers have a defence against DoS attacks but it's not very good, i.e. if you receive a million pings in a second then don't answer them. Your line still has to handle those million pings coming in though. Just how many messages does it reckon you are receiving? per hour?
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
LuckyCombatPotato
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

MudShark wrote: Just how many messages does it reckon you are receiving? per hour?
Two
But i think this is too much for Sayril's computer
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I've been reading about DoS attacks on the web, as I understand it. It can slow down your connection speed or it can render the broadband unusable.

It looks like I'm just getting random attacks that slows down the connection. I will attach a print of my log.
Attachments
Log.jpg
jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

I used to have a remote login setup on my machine (I use logmein now) so I had a port open for SSH logins. My IP wasn't static but I still got swamped with failed login attempts. I had a log recording it all, after 6 months it created a text file than ran to 30,000 pages when opened in word. I also had it setup to block by IP after 3 failed attempts, the blocklist was quite large too and the IP's came from all over the world.

Your router should block a lot of it unless you've opened it up to the world. Everyone online can be probed by bots etc looking for weakness.