Lost USB key.

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

groinshot
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Lost USB key.

Hey guys, Im jsut wondering if any of you know anything about this. I dont think its possible but a friend of mine lost her USB key with all her college work, and doesnt have it saved on her HD, She wants to know can she get it back somehow, Im thinking the only way is if the autosaves are kept somewhere in the hard drive on office..... Anyone have any idea where they could be, or if its possible...
Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Re: Lost USB key.

you could try

"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
Slartibartfast
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

groinshot wrote: She wants to know can she get it back somehow,
Tell her its down the back of the couch with the key of the shed and a fiver in loose change.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Slartibartfast
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

You could try something like this to retrieve the data , or if its really important theres companies that offer profesional retrieval services.
None of em are guaranteed to work though.

http://www.tech-pro.net/how-to-recover- ... files.html
Illegitimi non carborundum

IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

I would assume, although you didnt mention it, that the HD your referring to is not the college pc hard drive, but her own computer/laptop.?

If it was the college pc, her data might be backed up on her profile on the exchange. ( if thats what they use ).

I have to say, data recovery, is quite difficult at the best of times. Which version of office has she used and which operating system? You might be able to browse some hidden temp folders within the users profile......
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Fail.

Data security 1.0.1. Keep a backup.
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
groinshot
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Thought as much. yeah it was on her laptop, she just has to start again with her whole semesters work..... shell know to keep a backup in future. I figured it wasnt possible, but though I might aswell try anyway. Pro recovery is too expensive im afraid...
Thundercat
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

IF she did save a copy on her laptop before are previousely and deleted it two bits of free software worth a try are.

PhotoRec - recovers loads of files not just jpegs ;)
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

PC Inspector
http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1

Both are free, first one is more powerful but harder to use.

Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/user/71Thunderous
New youtube channel (I fecked up my old one)
Die_Doggy_Die
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I once used 'Recover my files' to help me when my mother in law managed to knock the entire houses power off during a partitioning causing all my files to be lost - I could have killed her! In the end I managed to get back 75% of what was thought to be lost but it took me ages. When she visits now she has to sit in the outside loo and talk to us via walkie talkie :lol:
I play the game for the game's own sake.