CPU cooling

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Highwaywarrior
Regular
Regular

CPU cooling

After I woke up this morning to find that my CPU fan was hanging from one of its hooks on the heatsink retention bracket because one of the plastic "hooks" had snapped off it I was pretty pissed to find that the bracket which costs £5 is only available from Hong Kong and even then they cant guarantee delivery within 14 days - or even at all! Failing miserably in my quest to find a replacement a bit closer to home I then thought about alternatives and came up with this:

Above: side profile of Coolermaster 600 case showing the CoolIT liquid CPU cooling system built in.

Above: liquid cooled heatsink attached to CPU

Above: CPU temp with several applications running!

All in all I have to say that I'm very impressed. Its a very quiet system and the cooling system fan is exceptionally quiet on the first two settings. It is certainly noticeable on its top speed however!
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Slartibartfast
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Re: CPU cooling

I woke up this morning and found henry winkler in my bed so I attached him to my cpu and now it runs COOL
Illegitimi non carborundum

IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

ROFL...slarty...

Anyway, I know HW will hate me for saying this, but I had the same issue with my previous MSI board, however, I dont know if this was because of the manufacturer being different to HW's ASUS, but I was able to get a number of them on ebay for a couple of quid in the UK, which came a few days later. Before that however, I emailed the manufacturer via their website and they sent me one FOC about a week later.

Glad you got it sorted tho HW.

aa)
Exibit
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

That cooler looks sweet now H
A Dog Is For Life
Not Just A Friday
Night
Thundercat
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

All I can say is WOW

Oh and hell thats one clean looking computer... no dust, wires all over the place and non working fans....
http://www.youtube.com/user/71Thunderous
New youtube channel (I fecked up my old one)
jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

Same thing happened to my mates stock Intel cooler, it just popped off one day although at least chips these days turn off automatically if this happens. Also happened to my old Athlon Tbird axia - my fault that the HSF was fully in place - the chip died as soon as I switched it on. Luckily the chip was obsolete by then so no big deal.

I've had that same water cooler setup for about 6 months now. It is very handy that it's a sealed package - no leaks to worry about etc - I hope.

What CPU you got under there HW? Mines a Q6600 OCed to 3.4Ghz and idle's around 60 degrees, under load it might hit 70 (as reported by coretemp, not the temp of the coolant).

It does run pretty warm but not enough to worry me.