ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series [X191W] - Random Crashes

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series [X191W] - Random Crashes

So, i've had this card for about a year and a half, it worked great untill a couple of monthes ago. But now it has begun crashing randomly, sometimes when i plays cs:s, l4d2, bf2 and sometimes while im just watching a movie.. The screen goes black and the "No Signal" message pops up, and then it returns to the desktop and the only diffrent is the resolution, which is changed to either a higher or a lower res~. I sent a e-mail to AMD and got this response:

"From the information provided, the issue may be related to either hardware or software. As a test, reinstall and/or update to the latest Catalyst 10.1 or equivalent driver and check the latest motherboard BIOS and chipset driver updates."

I've uptaded to Catalyst 10.1 but i have no idea how to do the rest.. Anyone got any suggestions? It's starting to get abit annoying.. :|
Thundercat
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series [X191W] - Random Crashes

Other things that may cause the problem is lack of power to the GFX card ;)
Did you self install?

Upgrading the bios....

Find out what motherboard you have, when you boot the PC a makers name should appear like ASUS then hit the tab so you can see the boot screens and you should see the motherboard number.

Now hit DEL or F2 to enter bios, in there somewhere your find the bios version number and maybe also the motherboard name and model number too.

Next go to the motherboard makers website and see if there is a newer bios to download.

NOW DO READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FLASH YOUR BIOS!!!

If you don't you can be in a world of hurt for a while.

Things to do before flashinh bios, if you have a digital camera I advise taking a pic of every bios screen IE boot to bios and go through every screen taking a picture so you know the settings that are currently used on your computer. No camera get a pen and paper and jot it ALL down.

Then attempt the flash of bios

REREED ALL THE HOW TO FLASH THE BIOS INSTRUCTIONS!

Once flashed try booting your PC, it will say something about default settings being loaded, contine the boot. If boots in see if you system is stable.

If it doesnt boot into windows go into the bios and change all the settings to thouse you noted above (please god you did jot em all down!).

IF YOU WANT MORE ADVICE BEFORE FLASHING BIOS TELL US THE MOTHERBOARD MAKER AND MODEL NUMBER AND BIOS VERSION.
http://www.youtube.com/user/71Thunderous
New youtube channel (I fecked up my old one)
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Cheers Thundercat, im gonna give it a try :p

I friend of my installd the card, but it have worked fine for a long time so it should not be a power issue.
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Have you given your PC a good clean? Remove the dust! Have you added any hardware in last 2 months? Could have taken your PSU over the top.
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I gave it a good dust right now, and I updated the BIOS so I hope it will work. All I can do now, is wait and see. 8)

Cheers for the help guys!