L4D2 connection instructions / Crapsters

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

L4D2 connection instructions / Crapsters

I haven't managed to get the connection instructions to work for me on the L4D2 server - are they actually correct or do they need updating? At the mo I just go into the game and sit on the 'firends playing' screen until I can do a 'join game' on with the idea that Gav will have worked something out before me, or we use invites.

Crappy, in case you've missed it while you've been away, it's not uncommon after a couple of hours of CSS (or before) someone will float the idea we move to L4D2, which has a hard limit of 8 players (in 4v4 versus), and at that point 8+ [OFc] will sneak off from Server 1. So (a) if you have a "where the fuck did everyone go?" moment, that is probably it, and (b) L4D2 is good for pure escapism if that's what you need right now.

Bamz
Gavac220

Re: L4D2 connection instructions / Crapsters

They are correct. Here is a repeat on how to join our servers. In L4D2 you have to start a lobby, before you can start a game (invite friends), and join an OFc server. Remember, this is so YOU can start a game, and has no relevance in joining a game already running. That is still best done through steam freinds.
Whilst in-game, open console and paste this in and press enter.

Code:
bind "F4" "mm_dedicated_force_servers 78.129.134.9:27070, 78.129.134.9:27080"

(You can change where I have put F4 to what key you want to use. BUT YOU MUST INCLUDE ALL FOUR OF THE QUOTES LIKE I HAVE)

So, to just reclarify...here is an example.

Start the game ( make sure you see the OFc Left for Dead Servers 12 and 13 appear in the main menu.)
Click Start Campaign
Select Play Online
Press F4 ( or your own bind key )
Then select "More Search Options"
Set up your game settings, IE Campaign, Verses etc, and Difficulty etc.
Select "Create a Game Lobby"
Then choose your game character, game permissions ( ie friends only etc )
Select "Start Game"
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

The other solution is easier. Just add the line:

mm_dedicated_force_servers 78.129.134.9:27070, 78.129.134.9:27080

to the file:

drive letter:\steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg\autoexec.cfg

If the file don't exist then create it.

When in game you don't need to do anything. (I think)
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

Bamz,

Both were correct ( at time of posting ) which I have stated in my posts which Gavac and Muddy have highlighted.

http://forum.ofc-gaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=4143

The second option ( the one muddy's reffering to ) is really only ideal if you want to join only those 2 servers ever. However if you want to join other steam group servers or public servers ( say for example both S12 and S13 are full), then the first option is more ideal so you can start a publc game lobby without automatically being pushed to our servers. ( IE dont press the bind, thats the only difference between the two ).

However, it might be possible that they have changed it again with some updates... They have dont it before....Found it really annoying to say the least.
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

thanks chaps - I'll give it a shot. My main area of confusion was knowing there's a L4D2 game being set up, and figured there'd be a way to get straight in there. That fucker slarti would try and confuse me by telling me everyone was round his house comparing cock-tattoos, but I never believed him.

Bamzors