WINDOWS 7 PROS & CONS

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Mseries3
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: WINDOWS 7 PROS & CONS

IXL wrote:I think it also depends on which edition you have of Vista/W7, as both Vista Business and W7 Professional, dont have the annoying pop up issue. Not that ive seen anyway. Perhaps this is just for those using the basic/home editions etc?
Never had it on 7 Pro either...
Gavac220

All editions have it. It depends on what you are doing, and what you run as an administrator. I also have win7 pro, and have seen it many times
^Stueh
Regular
Regular

Within the .net environment you can programmatically set what a program requires access too. Its to do with Code Access Security i believe.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.71).aspx
Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

having a problem with the taskbar...

when alt tabbing out of fallout 3 was unable to maximise or get back in

retarded bethseda forums wont let me f*cking register either - recurring looping error
"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
^Stueh
Regular
Regular

you tried going back to the old style taskbar?
Gavac220

Really dislike the way MS handled the winsxs folder. It tricks its own system into thinking its 5-16GB's in size as a folder. Now thats just bad implementation! I know why it's there, and I know how it works, but MS were just lazy in not solving the false reporting problem, as it was evident in Vista.

My first real complaint on Win7 Pro, but a big one. I like to keep my operating system in a small partition, with enough room for usual additions over a period of time. I did not make allowances for a folder that reports (falsely or otherwise) that it is growing from a minimum of 5GB's to over 16GB's depending on what you install. Really dumb! That could really fek off people with small ssd's.

:evil:
MacaDeath
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Gavac220 wrote:Really dislike the way MS handled the winsxs folder. It tricks its own system into thinking its 5-16GB's in size as a folder. Now thats just bad implementation! I know why it's there, and I know how it works, but MS were just lazy in not solving the false reporting problem, as it was evident in Vista.

My first real complaint on Win7 Pro, but a big one. I like to keep my operating system in a small partition, with enough room for usual additions over a period of time. I did not make allowances for a folder that reports (falsely or otherwise) that it is growing from a minimum of 5GB's to over 16GB's depending on what you install. Really dumb! That could really fek off people with small ssd's.

:evil:

Gavac
There is a program called 'vlite' which might intrest you alot!
You install it and then point it to your windows installation DVD and when its finished sorting itself out you can safely remove drivers/components/parts of windows you DONT want in your installation! then its creates a installation disk for you with only what you wanted on it. Making your installation loads smaller as you only have the bits you need! I have not used it myself but my brother has and a friend at work. my brother cut win7 down to go on his netbook SSD and loved it. I have been told its fool proof (ideal for most of you then) as it warns you what happens when you remove each component!

Have a look if this sounds like something you wish to play with.

MacaDeath
^Stueh
Regular
Regular

It seems like a vista only:

http://www.vlite.net/about.html

But my understanding that Windows 7 core is essentially vista... So in theory it should work, but tbh im gonna try it till a re-install unless i hear more than my brothers mate (nothing against him, just being causous about my system (: )